Palliative care

Palliative care

Palliative care is a special kind of care which is offered to people who have an advanced or terminal illness and are not likely to get better. Living with family and loved ones is important to Aboriginal people and palliative care can help people living with an illness to live comfortably at home or with family. A palliative care team can:

  • Support meeting cultural obligations.
  • Support emotional, social and spiritual concerns.
  • Offer resources, equipment and advice.
  • Help with managing pain and other symptoms.
  • Make links with other helpful services.
  • Offer counselling and grief support.

Palliative care for diverse needs

Palliative care information

Aboriginal palliative care services

Pop Arthur comic


Caring for someone

Caring for someone with an advanced or terminal illness can be really draining and difficult. It is important to seek help if you feel you need it and share the responsibilities of caring for your loved one. Palliative care services can help you to find practical and emotional support, or respite services if you need a break.

Caring for someone at the end of their life

What can I say? What can I do?


Advance Care Directives

An Advance Care Directive is a plan you can put in place if there comes a time when you are no longer able to make a decision about your health care, living arrangements and other personal matters. An Advance Care Directive gives you peace of mind and makes it easy for others to know what your wishes are and to make choices on your behalf that support and respect your wishes. An Advance Care Directive Kit is free if you access it online at Advance Care Directives

For more information, read the Advance Care Directive brochure


Speak up

If you have had a bad experience with a South Australian health or community service, you can speak up and make a confidential complaint. The Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner can help to make your voice heard and make a difference for you and others. You can make a complaint by calling the HCSCC on 8226 8666 or for country SA call 1800 232 007

For more information go to their website.